Ad

Fo Guang Yuan Iloilo

I've been posting about Christianity for awhile now, but Buddhism (as a subject) is pretty close to my heart. So far, I'm the only one in CPU who has read most of the Buddhism books from the Henry Luce III Library (as the book cards indicate, usually I'm the only name). I've worked for a year in Fo Guang Shan Mabuhay temple in Manila, and I've had first-hand experience in temple life and learned more about the Buddha's life and teachings. Though I am not a Buddhist, I really respect Buddhists and the nuns I knew. I will always treasure the time in there, even though it had its challenges.

Except for Chinese Buddhists in Iloilo City, you are probably not aware that there's a Buddhist temple in the city, Fo Guang Yuan Iloilo. It is located in Ledesma Street, in front of Ijas College and Robinsons Mall. The resident monk is Ven. Miao Roon who has been my boss when I worked as a librarian. There's a main shrine with the figures of Buddha, Guan Yin, and Ksitigarbha. While it is much simpler than Manila's Mabuhay temple, its a great place to visit if you want to see a Buddhist temple or learn more about Buddhism.

Hey, you can tell me if you want to visit because I can contact them (even though I'm not an official member).

Buddha in the Main Shrine
Meditation Hall.

We celebrate the Buddha's birthday by pouring the Buddha with water three times, as a symbol of aspiring to purify our minds from greed, hatred, and ignorance.

Post a Comment

0 Comments