Ad

How to be Zen during Finals

Finals season for this school year!
I topped the 2015 Librarian's board exam. Meaning, out of 1,000+ who took it from the whole country, I had the highest score. You'd think I'm an expert on exams by now, but I'm not. Topping the board exam seems like an irony considering all the suicidal stress I had over grades and exams before.

I'll tell you a secret.

Once upon a time, in April 2011, a momentous event happened that changed my life somewhat, and its about exams.

The best moment about exams I had in my life was not topping the board exam. But the first time I exempted a final exam. It was on an easy subject, English 1A, but it was the last final exam I had for my first semester in CPU (I failed a lot in UP Visayas - Miag-ao before that). I somehow forgot that I was exempted, and when the teacher only told me during the exams as a surprise.

It felt like if I can exempt this exam, then I can do anything! I started to love school at that moment. I wasn't even a good student and I procrastinated a lot in my last school, but it was the turning point of everything.

So I did my best for my subjects right at the start of the semester so I can be less stressed about finals. If the teacher is kind and gives exemptions, I study my ass off for the first major exams. There's no better reward to yourself to just walk out ahead of everybody and take your vacation! The secret of being zen in the middle of the Hell Week is simple: not cramming!

But for students reading this looking for advice and are very stressed right at this moment, I would just like to say:

Breathe.

Envision the moment you leave your final exam for the semester.

If you're graduating, feel free to jump or get drunk to celebrate the end of college!


Seriously. Just do one thing at a time. And don't stress yourself talking about the exam after the fact, because you can't change your answers or your grade anyway. If you slacked off or did your best, you will get the result of your work. It is still you who determines your grades, the teacher just records it. 

And don't forget to pray!

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. » James 1:5

Never regard your study as duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn the liberating beauty of the intellect for your own personal joy and for the profit of the community to which your later work will belong. » Albert Einstein  ðŸ“–

Post a Comment

0 Comments