Ad

#BookCulturexBookLatte: Year-End Book Swap experience


Last December 30, 2017, Book Latte launched BL Book Culture, a program where you can swap books! For the launch, there was a book swap where you can exchange books. Book Latte is located on Festive Walk, Megaworld, and it is one of my favorite cafes in the city, and if you love books and coffee it's worth checking out. I thought that attending the book swap to celebrate the end of 2017 would be great, and I invited my sister and two friends from high school and we had a good time talking about stories, movies, books, and life.

There was food and as always it was great, and I got to taste their 'alcoholic coffee' which is another new favorite. I've been lamenting that Nescafe Latte in can got phased out years ago, that was my favorite coffee of all time, and this might be the next (just as long I don't drink too much that I'll get drunk).

"Books find you," more than you consciously seek out certain books, and I believe that. Many times, a book or author I liked shows up in random bookstores and library shelves. Many times, I have browsed the shelves of the library or a bookstore and by serendipity found something that changed me.

I bought six books to swap, mostly the ones that I thought would be appreciated more by others. These are the ones I got:

1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, ©1962
2. City of Thieves by David Benioff, ©2008
3. Dune by Frank Herbert, ©1965
4. Mythical Beasties: Isaac Asimov's Magical Worlds of Fantasy #6, ©1986
5. 30 Days to Taming your Stress by Deborah Smith Pegues, ©2007
6. Head over Feels: more than 100 kilig and hugot quotes from your favorite Pop Fiction Books, ©2015

I'm already aware of the first three books and I'm glad that I found them there. A Wrinkle in Time will be a movie this 2018 and that made me curious about the book. City of Thieves was recommended by Stephen King. Dune is a classic science fiction title, and I like anything Isaac Asimov and myths. The two other books are non-fiction.

I really enjoyed the book swap and I think that it's a great idea. Rather than buy more books, exchanging them saves space and sparks conversation with others who also love books and stories. Swapping books with someone who might love the book more is also good for the book, at least it won't just be left unread and collecting dust on a forgotten shelf.

Book Latte has more interesting events coming up, so follow their Facebook page @BookLatteMegaworldIloilo for more details. They are also open to book donations (children's books, novels, and storybooks) and book swaps. For more information on Book Culture, please read this: Book Culture, Launching the New Chapter for 2018. Thanks again to Nile on Weekends for the invitation.

By the way, one of my New Year's Resolutions is reading more and going through my collection. I'm a book hoarder and I'm trying not to buy more books while I haven't read the ones I have. I started a post set on my Facebook, Books read 2018 which is currently set to friends-only, but I'm thinking of posting them (public) once I start the Malditang Librarian Facebook page (still preparing some stuff). So far, I've finished two non-fiction books this January and I'm in the middle of my third book for this year. I started the set since I don't write full reviews of all books I read in this blog, so posting the cover picture and a brief reaction is better so I can keep track of what I've read.

Happy reading!

Post a Comment

0 Comments