Ad

The Saturday night currently

At this point, I think this blog isn't sure what's its going to be about. I was about to post a review of the excellent novel The Circle by Dave Eggers, a dystopian novel of a hi-tech social media company trying to take over the world's privacy. I was reading it while in another country, and its odd that even if its the sort of thing you post all over social media, I wanted to keep it to myself. I feel so non-existing, and I'm planning to take the quitting social media thing seriously. But I'm still here.

"All right. Mae, we have to change how we interact. Every time I see or hear from you, it’s through this filter. You send me links, you quote someone talking about me, you say you saw a picture of me on someone’s wall.… It’s always this third-party assault. Even when I’m talking to you face-to-face you’re telling me what some stranger thinks of me. It becomes like we’re never alone. Every time I see you, there’s a hundred other people in the room. You’re always looking at me through a hundred other people’s eyes.”
(from The Circle, and here's a better book review)

Today we watched Wonder Woman and I loved it. I just can't find the right words to talk about it. So I'm borrowing Caitlin Kiernan's words: "The film is pretty damn close to perfect, top to bottom, stem to stern, and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. And I was very pleased that the director went with WWI instead of the simpler, more familiar milieu of WWII. Wonder Woman is most certainly one of the best superhero films ever made, and it could not have come to us at a time when we needed more, especially not a time when the young women (and children) need it more."

I am trying to read Moby Dick. I have tried to read it twice before but I only got around the whaling part. I get bored too easily these days but I want to finish it...

As for jobs, I think I'm going to focus on my degree first and other things. I feel confused, somewhat. Maybe I'll figure it out soon...

Post a Comment

0 Comments