Ad

Thor: Ragnarok [movie reaction]


[Note: may contain some spoilers but nothing major]

The last film I saw in the movie theater was Wonder Woman, an amazing superhero movie on a character based on Greek Mythology. Marvel's Avengers franchise have produced a string of successful superhero blockbuster movies for a long time now: we're all familiar with Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, and of course, the Norse god of thunder Thor and his trickster brother, Loki.

I'm not a huge fan of this franchise or comic books, but I can enjoy a movie from time to time. I watched the first movie Thor in 2011, it was funny and entertaining, and I followed the storyline of Thor and Loki through the next few Avengers films I've watched.

Thor: Ragnarok is the third installment of the Thor movies, and here Thor is battling a new (yet old) enemy: Hela, the goddess of death played by the superb Cate Blanchett. She also played the other-worldly Galadriel, leader of the elves in Lord of the Rings. I loved how one review said Cate playing the character Hela "screams of Galadriel taking the power of the One Ring and using it to destroy whole worlds." Hela is part of a forgotten past in Asgard, and she shows up to claim her 'inheritance' as Odin's first daughter.


After Odin's death, Thor and Loki meet their sister Hela who decides to take over Asgard. She banishes Thor and Loki to another realm and the two brothers find themselves on the planet Saakar, some sort of garbage dump ruled by a dictator named the Grandmaster. Here, Loki is no longer an antagonist but fights for Thor's side. Still a trickster, but mostly reformed.

An alcoholic, bottle-swinging badass lady appears, sells Thor as a gladiator for the Grandmaster's entertaining games, but they soon discover that she's linked to Asgard. After Cate Blanchett as Hela, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie is worth watching. They meet the Hulk again, with no memories of Earth or being Bruce Banner. I really liked the soundtrack of this movie, which reminds me of 80's electro-pop. The neon vintage vibe of Saakar was a nice touch.

What I loved about this movie is the humor - the movie theater was filled with laughter in almost every scene. If you want a good stress-reliever, this is the fun movie to watch. I wish that Hela was explored more, I think she's a great villain and I'd love to see more of her. Thor forms a haphazard group he nicknamed 'the Revengers' - with himself, Loki, Valkyrie, and the Hulk. Together, they try to defeat Hela and save Asgard.

Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) slayin' it
Some quotes:
Thor: I don't hang with the Avengers anymore. It all got too corporate.

Thor: She's too powerful, I have no hammer.
Odin: What are you, the god of hammers?

Post a Comment

0 Comments